Mwingi bus tragedy: Survivor says the drive had refused to cross Enziu River for more than two hours
Albanas Kiswili
1 month ago

One of the Mwingi Catholic Church bus tragic accident survivor has said that the bus drivers had refused to cross the bridge for more than two hours.

Simon Kea speaking to the media has said that the driver was reluctant to cross the bridge but got courage after two matatus crossed successfully.

Though some of the wedding attendees stated they were getting late for the occasion, the driver insisted that he was not familiar with the bridge, hence, expressed fears of crossing.

Some of the travellers who were stranded by the river banks also hopped onto the bus with the hope of getting a lift to the other side.

"We were about 40 passengers when leaving Mwingi in the morning. Around 10 seats were empty. As we were crossing the river, the 51-seater bus was full with more than 15 people standing," Kea told the Nation.

The bus, which is estimated who have been carrying around 60 passengers, overturned to the shock of the onlookers at the scene.

Narrating how he escaped death narrowly, Kea disclosed that he was pulled out through the window by one of the divers who rushed to the scene to save lives.

"I felt a hand grab my shoulder and pull me out through the window. I thank God for sparing my life," he added.

As of Saturday evening, 23 bodies had been retrieved and 10 survivors had been rushed to the Mwingi Hospital.

Officers from the Kenya Defense Forces (KDF) have since been deployed to help with the rescue mission.

Preliminary reports indicated that members of the bridal party, her three children and two grandchildren, were also on the bus.

"This is a river and it was flooding. The driver lost control and slid into a ditch. The bus capsized next to the bridge. The driver has also died. The bus was leaving Mwingi Central towards Nuu in Mwingi East," Mwingi East Sub County Police Commander Joseph Yakan told the media.